Monday, March 18, 2013

Pathetic Fallacy:
A subdivision of personification, this figure of speech refers specifically to the technique of assigning human emotion to a concept, animal, or inanimate object.

Example:
Stanza from Alfred Lord Tennyson’s 1855 poem “Maud"
There has fallen a splendid tear
From the passion-flower at the gate.
She is coming, my dove, my dear;
She is coming, my life, my fate.
The red rose cries, "She is near, she is near;"
And the white rose weeps, "She is late;"
The larkspur listens, "I hear, I hear;"
And the lily whispers, "I wait"

Explanation:
Tennyson uses many different examples of pathetic fallacy in this quote. This fallacy creates symbolic value to the objects. It is a way for the writer to express his writing style in a unique way, and to be more creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment