Sunday, March 3, 2013



Anticlimax:

A sudden drop from the dignified or important in thought or expression to the commonplace or trivial, often for humorous effect.



Example:
"Nothing makes me want to disappear 
As when someone opens their mouth
 It's just my luck 
I get hit by a car 
While carrying a cake 
 Dripping cherries 
Onto pavement 
Bride and groom on my face 
 I'm not there like a ghost ship in a storm 
 It only figures 
That I'd ride my bike 
And as I'm sinkin' 
The last thing that I think
Is, did I pay my rent
?"
-Jim O'Rourke, Ghost Ship in a Storm


Explanation:
O'Rourke uses an anticlimax at the end of his song. The purpose of this is to add a humorous tone, it also helps characterize the narrator of the song as one that has given up hope. Before the anticlimax the lyrics build up adding suspense, when the anticlimax comes it creates a funny ending, to show that this is not very serious. The purpose of an anticlimax is to add a lighthearted and upbeat spin on the climax, and that is exactly what O'Rourke did. 






No comments:

Post a Comment